UberEnvironment light

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited November 2012 in The Commons

Hi there,

I have a question to the UberEnvironment light. Is there a possibillity to use the UberEnvironment light in this way that the light comes from all sites but not from below? I use the UberEnvironment light without shadow + a spot or distant light with ray traced shadow.

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,657
    edited December 1969

You would need an environment map which was white (or grey) at the top and black at the bottom of the sphere

• AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As Richard said, try something like this one, block the lower half of the HDRI with black:

Night2_HDR2.jpg
    1195 x 597 - 29K
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    As Richard said, try something like this one, block the lower half of the HDRI with black:

thank you both but to be honest, I really don`t know what you mean...think I am a bit stupid for that

edited December 1969

I have the sphere (of the UberEnvironment Light) invisible in my scene also during creating the scene, the sphere itself is white, so if I understand correctly I do have to add a map to the sphere and have to make the lower half black, right?

edited December 1969

do I have to choose a shadow map like deep shadow or raytraced for the UberEnvironment light itself?

edited December 1969

No, the sphere only gives you a clue on the light position (the brighter/brightest parts of the image and is nothing more than a .jpg.
    What you are looking for is the HDRI file, the one showing in the light tab of UE, should be in .tif 32bit format.

You can edit that one in Photoshop or Gimp (I think) to add a black rectangle which covers the lower part of the HDRI.

Browse to the location indicated by DS to open that file.

UberEnv.jpg
    1600 x 840 - 147K
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    do I have to choose a shadow map like deep shadow or raytraced for the UberEnvironment light itself?

You can always try to look into the shadow tab of UE!

No, just kidding, you set the shadows (if one can say so) in the EnviromentMode list of the basic settings of UE.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

No not the sphere as that is just there for visual purposes...I generally hide it.

Richard and Peter are suggesting to do it with a HDRI/Tif light map that Uber Envrionemnt uses to light the scene with.

BUT I cannot see how to do this myself as GIMP or Photoshop Elements won't open the Tif light map so I can't add a black section to the bottom. I believe the Photoshop CS range can open these files.

So I am also interested in knowing how this can be done. :)

EDIT: TOOOOO slow again. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    No not the sphere as that is just there for visual purposes...I generally hide it.

Richard and Peter are suggesting to do it with a HDRI/Tif light map that Uber Envrionemnt uses to light the scene with.

BUT I cannot see how to do this myself as GIMP or Photoshop Elements won't open the Tif light map so I can't add a black section to the bottom. I believe the Photoshop CS range can open these files.

So I am also interested in knowing how this can be done. :)

EDIT: TOOOOO slow again. :)

This may help:

http://ict.debevec.org/~debevec/HDRShop/tutorial/tutorial7.html

edited December 1969

Yep Peter that helps loads, thanks. I went on a Google hunt and came up empty.

edited December 1969

Akhbour said:
    cosmo71 said:

You can always try to look into the shadow tab of UE!

No, just kidding, you set the shadows (if one can say so) in the EnviromentMode list of the basic settings of UE.

so I can open the tif file in gimp but get just an image with nothing in it... a have no photoshop so it seems I have to live with postwork

edited December 1969

Follow the tutorial in my link two posts higher and it should work in Gimp.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yep Peter that helps loads, thanks. I went on a Google hunt and came up empty.

you just need a half w/b jpeg for the light color map, you also can use a grey/white map or what ever you want, just made me a 1000/1000 pixel halpf black and white map and next I will try a dark grey/light grey map that works also as it seems in my first test

edited December 1969

I would try this out myself with GIMP now if I wasn't about to hit the sack. :) Good night. I will check back in the morn to see how you got on cosmo.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I would try this out myself with GIMP now if I wasn't about to hit the sack. :) Good night. I will check back in the morn to see how you got on cosmo.

just two hours then I will enter the bed, too :)

have a good night

edited December 1969

okay, it works, have made me a color map for the uber environment light :)

ubertest.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 257K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Thank you Akhbour, your information was very helpful :)

edited December 1969

Looks good cosmo!

For a scene like that, I would have created a map like in the first image.

You apply a jpg version of the map to the UE sphere and align your prop with the bright parts (image2)

And you get something like image 3 (only lit by UE) where you can add point lights to simulate light sources.

Passage.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 17K
    PassagePose.jpg
    638 x 739 - 90K
    PassageTest.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 125K
    edited November 2012

Akhbour said:
    Looks good cosmo!

For a scene like that, I would have created a map like in the first image.

You apply a jpg version of the map to the UE sphere and align your prop with the bright parts (image2)

And you get something like image 3 (only lit by UE) where you can add point lights to simulate light sources.

thank you :)

well my main problem is solved, it was the light rim where the feet meets the ground, that was my main problem and that is fixed now :) thank you :)

Post edited by cosmo71 on