How do I turn on the Content Management Service?

Guardian Angel 671Guardian Angel 671 Posts: 213
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Mine doesn't seem to be working & it isn't in the task manager either.I tried uninstalling & re-installing & still isn't running.I'm on a 64 bit ,Win7 laptop though I have the 32 bit installed.I was curious how to get this running as I'd like to try to figure this out:)

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

If you are on Windows, go to the Start menu and there under DAZ3D should be a command to Start CMS

CMSStart.jpg
    630 x 1011 - 359K
  • Guardian Angel 671Guardian Angel 671 Posts: 213
    edited November 2012

Szark said:
    If you are on Windows, go to the Start menu and there under DAZ3D should be a command to Start CMS

thanks very much. now to figure how to set it up for things to be visible there :)

Post edited by Guardian Angel 671 on
    edited December 1969

My pleasure guardian angel 671

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    My pleasure guardian angel 671

think i'm not meant ta use it -it still refuses to show up in either my ds or my task manager.

edited December 1969

Make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

edited November 2012

Szark said:
    Make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

I think I'm using windows firewall-how do I set that not to block the CMS?

edited December 1969

Windows 7 or Vista?

Vista Go to the Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall > Allow a Program Through Wndowss Firewall and naviagte to CMS and hit accept/ok

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Windows 7 or Vista?

Vista Go to the Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall > Allow a Program Through Wndowss Firewall and naviagte to CMS and hit accept/ok

windows 7, I think I got it added but it still refuses to run & it does not show in task manager.Would it affect it if my DS4.5 is located on an external harddrive?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Windows 7 or Vista?

windows 7, I think I got it added but it still refuses to run & it does not show in task manager.Would it affect it if my DS4.5 is located on an external harddrive?

It shouldn't matter if DS4.5 is installed on an external drive, as long as you installed it on this system. Did you have earlier versions of DS4 installed? CMS doesn't get uninstalled when you update DS4, so you may have an old version. If you uninstall CMS using "Start > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Uninstall CMS", then reinstall DS4.5 you'll get the latest CMS. If that doesn't solve it, what other security software are you running?

edited November 2012

Szark said:
    Windows 7 or Vista?

It shouldn't matter if DS4.5 is installed on an external drive, as long as you installed it on this system. Did you have earlier versions of DS4 installed? CMS doesn't get uninstalled when you update DS4, so you may have an old version. If you uninstall CMS using "Start > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Uninstall CMS", then reinstall DS4.5 you'll get the latest CMS. If that doesn't solve it, what other security software are you running?

I did uninstall it thru the control panel so I'm hoping any older copies were removed. I have Avast & Malwarebytes on my system & the
    User Account Control is set at the default area.I did a reinstall with ds4.5 today trying ta solve this -no luck

edited December 1969

I would try going offline and deactivating Avast, and see if that resolves the problem -- if it does, then we can try to find out how to configure Avast to allow CMS.

edited December 1969

I would try going offline and deactivating Avast, and see if that resolves the problem -- if it does, then we can try to find out how to configure Avast to allow CMS.

k i'll try that in the morning:)

edited December 1969

nope i get same results even after disabling the avast.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

In my case, I noticed that for some reason CMS has started to die and leave me sans Smart Content. This is probably related to Windows Update pertaining to some .dll redistributable thingies...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited November 2012

Skiriki said:
    In my case, I noticed that for some reason CMS has started to die and leave me sans Smart Content. This is probably related to Windows Update pertaining to some .dll redistributable thingies...
    I've had problems with the CMS stopping as I boot up DS...I'm still trying to work it out and I'm seriously considering using the other options.

And yes I just did a windows update but I was having problems prior to that. I'd been beta testing the garibaldi plugin and it crashed. I haven't been able to get 4.5 to work since then despite lots of clean reinstalls. : ((

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Ok I am just thinking out loud....where is your CMS located, Program Files or Program Data....I am sure I read somewhere that some older CMS installations appeared in Program Files where as my last two clean installs (and I mean clean OS installs too) found CMS in the Program Data folder. You will have to Show Hidden Files to see the Program Data folder.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok I am just thinking out loud....where is your CMS located, Program Files or Program Data....I am sure I read somewhere that some older CMS installations appeared in Program Files where as my last two clean installs (and I mean clean OS installs too) found CMS in the Program Data folder. You will have to Show Hidden Files to see the Program Data folder.

Mine is in program files I currently have version 4.5.0.26 installed as I can get it to load without the cms stopping but every time I do a scan for new files categories disappear and at times for no reason it just stops and I lose categories, smart content and pose tab info.

I've also noticed that a lot of the categories seem to not show the icons and say none. I'm not sure if it is really slow loading them or they have disappeared. Shouldn't be slow as I've recently increased ram to 16gb.

Also if I try to reimport metadata...it goes through the process but when I finish categories has disappeared again and the cms stopped. I have a bug report over at mantis...

edited December 1969

I am using 4.5.1.6 and as I said CMS is in Program Data so my out loud thinking may have a bearing. I really haven't had any issues with CMS since I uninstall it everytime I upgraded. But as I mentioned I have done a full OS reinstall so I started with a clean registry. AGain though I honestly don't know.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I am using 4.5.1.6 and as I said CMS is in Program Data so my out loud thinking may have a bearing. I really haven't had any issues with CMS since I uninstall it everytime I upgraded. But as I mentioned I have done a full OS reinstall so I started with a clean registry. AGain though I honestly don't know.
    Hi Szark, I have tried installing many different versions including 4.5.1.6 so I'm not sure if it does. I just had one thought but I will go and try before sharing to see if it works.
    edited December 1969

Here you go Pen. My last two installs placed CMS in Program Data which I did find odd as the older version where in Program Files.

CMSPData.jpg
    1001 x 746 - 264K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Here you go Pen. My last two installs placed CMS in Program Data which I did find odd as the older version where in Program Files.

Is the CMS executable there, or just the databases?

edited November 2012

Good call Mike just the databases...never thought of looking for the exe.

Sorry about that but not having sleep for over 48 hours is taking its toll.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Good call Mike just the databases...never thought of looking for the exe.

Sorry about that but not having sleep for over 48 hours is taking its toll.

No problem...your comment made me think of something so I'm giving it a try mighttake a while thoughas my db is quite large.

i've also gone into the administraters tools and changed the response to restart instead of no action under the services recovery tab. Wish me luck...

edited December 1969

Good luck Pen. :)

edited December 1969

mine from 4.5 are located here:
    program files/daz 3d/ content management service-has the .exe
    program data/daz 3d/ content management service-has the databases

edited December 1969

mine from 4.5 are located here:
    program files/daz 3d/ content management service-has the .exe
    program data/daz 3d/ content management service-has the databases
    Thats what mine had...

Thanks Szark! : )

If this doesn't work I'm at the point where I will give up on the cms and go back to the Poser and DAZ runtimes.

edited December 1969

Personally I don't use Smart Content and I am thinking of removing CMS totally.....I split my runtimes up in to 20 odd (and counting) folders so I use the old Folder View in the Content Library Pane.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Personally I don't use Smart Content and I am thinking of removing CMS totally.....I split my runtimes up in to 20 odd (and counting) folders so I use the old Folder View in the Content Library Pane.

I've never used CMS I have no need of it. I have several organized runtimes, as well as a cleaned out my library folder. And with genesis and genesis content out side of my budget I really have no need of CMS. More over considering 99% of my content wont work in it, there is no reason for me to even have it installed.

My runtimes are organized, I know where my content is because I put it there, and I have no need of help finding it.

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Left it to run overnight, had a quick look at it this morning and it looks like its worked this time.

Don't have a lot of time, just got to work so I'll post more tonight.

edited December 1969

Nice what did you do?