Marvelous Designer 2 and Genesis?

djrenderuserdjrenderuser Posts: 9
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've seen several tutorials on how to fit a Marvelous Designer 2 garment to a Genesis figure but can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I've seen several tutorials on how to fit a Marvelous Designer 2 garment to a Genesis figure but can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

Have you rigged it? What steps did you go through? What doesn't work, an image might help? It will not be Dynamic inside DAZ Studio, it will need to be riged and made a conforming item.

• djrenderuserdjrenderuser Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Here's what I've done so far.

1.) I export the V5 Genesis figure out of Daz Studio in obj format.
    2.) I add the obj avatar in MD2.
    3.) I simulate the clothing to the imported V5 Genesis avatar.
    4.) Then I export out the garment only in obj format.
    5.) In Daz Studio I use the "create clothing" sub menu and apply the obj to the Genesis V5 figure.

After I do this the clothing is NOT fitted and the clothing follows the figure. When I look at the parameters "Fit To" setting for the clothing, it says "Genesis". However, when I change this to "none" the clothing IS fitted BUT it doesn't follow the figure.

Any ideas? And thanks!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Build all clothing/hair etc to fit Genesis, and not one of it's morphs.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Select your garment in the Scene tab and then click on the lines icon at the top left of that tab. Choose Assets/Transfer Utility.

In the Pop up window choose Genesis for the Source Item and your garment as the Target Item.

If you have modelled your garment around V5, shape Genesis to V5 and choose Current in Item shape.

Open Show Options and tick Reverse Source shape from target. Add Smoothing Moderator and Content Type if you want. Then click Accept.

Your garment should now be fitted to Genesis.grin

Then save as Support Asset/Dsf Figure or Prop

• djrenderuserdjrenderuser Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy! Works like a charm! There were lots of tutorials out there on this subject. Yours is the only one that worked for me.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Where do you find the Create Clothing sub menu in DS 4.5?

If I export clothing from MD2 as cm (DAZ Studio) instead of 8 ft (Poser), the clothing is invisible when I import it into DS. If I export it as Poser (8ft?), then import it as Poser, it's visible, but loads off center and a bit above where it should. If I move it into place on Genesis, then run the Transfer utility, it pops it back to where it imported.

So ... clearly, this all wrong.

Here's what I've done so far.

1.) I export the V5 Genesis figure out of Daz Studio in obj format.
    2.) I add the obj avatar in MD2.
    3.) I simulate the clothing to the imported V5 Genesis avatar.
    4.) Then I export out the garment only in obj format.
    5.) In Daz Studio I use the "create clothing" sub menu and apply the obj to the Genesis V5 figure.

After I do this the clothing is NOT fitted and the clothing follows the figure. When I look at the parameters "Fit To" setting for the clothing, it says "Genesis". However, when I change this to "none" the clothing IS fitted BUT it doesn't follow the figure.

Any ideas? And thanks!

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited March 2013

wilmap said:
    Select your garment in the Scene tab and then click on the lines icon at the top left of that tab. Choose Assets/Transfer Utility.

In the Pop up window choose Genesis for the Source Item and your garment as the Target Item.

If you have modelled your garment around V5, shape Genesis to V5 and choose Current in Item shape.

Open Show Options and tick Reverse Source shape from target. Add Smoothing Moderator and Content Type if you want. Then click Accept.

Your garment should now be fitted to Genesis.grin

Then save as Support Asset/Dsf Figure or Prop

Hi, I simple can't get my clothing to work in DAZ. I can in poser but have some daz people I need clothing for.

Used Julie with an shirt that imports to fit correctly then run the transfer unit "Reverse Source shape from target" the shirt ends up in the middle of the Julie.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong? I made the original clothing in marvelous designer and exported Daz default setting. I've been told it in the export or import scale but nothing I try is working.

Thanks
    Kimber

Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited March 2013

When we refer to scale we are talking about the scale the morph is using in DS, the attached picture shows what I mean, in the middle we have Genesis as it loads in, on the left we have the basic child morph as you see it when you dial the morph, on the right is that actual basic child morph after we reset the scale back to 100%, if you wanted to make clothing for the basic child morph then it's this one you would export.

I believe all Genesis character morphs work this way, so you need to reset the scale on them in the parameters tab before you can export the mesh to use as a mannequin.

Scaling.jpg
    805 x 599 - 162K
    Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    When we refer to scale we are talking about the scale the morph is using in DS, the attached picture shows what I mean, in the middle we have Genesis as it loads in, on the left we have the basic child morph as you see it when you dial the morph, on the right is that actual basic child morph after we reset the scale back to 100%, if you wanted to make clothing for the basic child morph then it's this one you would export.

I believe all Genesis character morphs work this way, so you need to reset the scale on them in the parameters tab before you can export the mesh to use as a mannequin.

Thank you so much. It never crossed my mind to just scale the default genesis to an age appropriate size instead of using a teenager like Julie. I will give that a try first thing in the morning.

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Thank you so much. It never crossed my mind to just scale the default genesis to an age appropriate size instead of using a teenager like Julie. I will give that a try first thing in the morning.

That wont work either, every avatar you export using Genesis can not have any active scale, they must all be at 100%

As your using Julie what you have to do is load Genesis into a clean scene, dial up the Julie morph rather than apply any character preset, then in the Parameters tab find the scale dials and make sure each of the 4 are set to 100%. Once you have done that Julie will probably be the same height as the default Genesis, which is how it should be, you can now export that shape to use as an avatar in MD.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    KimberSue said:

That wont work either, every avatar you export using Genesis can not have any active scale, they must all be at 100%

As your using Julie what you have to do is load Genesis into a clean scene, dial up the Julie morph rather than apply any character preset, then in the Parameters tab find the scale dials and make sure each of the 4 are set to 100%. Once you have done that Julie will probably be the same height as the default Genesis, which is how it should be, you can now export that shape to use as an avatar in MD.

I've found what I was doing wrong. Instead of dialing to julie, I click her in the content window. Plus (thanks to the MD forum) I learned when you import clothing you use in source > item shape > current.

With your help and the MD forum. I can now get clothing to work in daz. YYYAAA!!!