MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

The more i play with these (shaders) the more i like them.

(plus no "accidentally" cutting through the paper with a razor which i have done more than once)

nowhere_to_hide_2_jpg.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 690K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited November 2012

... I've always tried my best to explain the ins and outs of the shaders In the official documentations (which there are for both Visual Style and Manga Style), and up until now nobody has ever requested me to write a step-by-step tutorial. Because of this, I didn't have one prepared for manga style, but I have now written one after a few people have politely requested one, and plan to write more if anybody wants to...

Please make more step-by-step tutorials and if possible also some for Visual Style. It will be awesome to have some more explanation about how to use your shaders.
    I was very excited when Visual Style shaders has finally pop up in the store and bought them immediately, but since then I have not used them a lot, because of the complexity of creating the images with them. I have achieving similar results to the promo images of your shaders, in the other programs, that have toon rendering option available, so no rush. But if it will be possible to get your step-by-step tutorials for both Visual Style and Manga Style, then I can hopefully create more images in Daz Studio directly. So pretty please and count me in for the tutorials.
    Post edited by Artini on
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited November 2012

I've decided after recent requests for guides on both Manga and Visual style, to change this topic to be about both. This is now both a Manga Style and Visual Style topic where you can post renders, ask questions, and download guides for both of them.

I've edited the first post to include links to both the Manga Style and Visual Style Documentations/Reference Guides. Hopefully soon i'll be able to release the Manga Style Step-By-Step guide of applying it to Genesis, at which point you can let me know if it's any good or not. :)

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 397
    edited December 1969

Dire Bunny, is that a one-off render or is it a project you're working on? I'd love to read more...

Cyonix, your super-Hitomi is awesome!

edited December 1969

By the way, would anybody like some simple freebie lights and render settings? I could quickly whip some up, which should hopefully make things easier (yeah, Daz lets you save render settings as presets now apparently).

edited December 1969

By the way, would anybody like some simple freebie lights and render settings? I could quickly whip some up, which should hopefully make things easier (yeah, Daz lets you save render settings as presets now apparently).

Yes, please. It will speed up the set up of the scenes.
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to hop in and say that I do enjoy the Visual Style shaders and have had no problems with them. I do not knock those who want step-by-step instructions but for me the reference guide was awesome and much more valuable. I really wish more people had illustrations of how settings change a render like you did. A lot of shaders talk about what settings do but do a poor job of illustrating the visual impact. While my reading skills are good I am more visual so seeing a setting and a picture works best.

The one thing I wish came with the Visual Style shaders is that script that someone made that allows us to apply a VS preset to a surface without losing the underlying material. I'm scared I'm going to lose it and not remember how I tweaked it for my needs. It was for 4.0 and not 4.5 but it still works fine in my recent application. Many times I do like to use the shader with a material underneath and manually reapplying textures is painful.

edited December 1969

Just wanted to hop in and say that I do enjoy the Visual Style shaders and have had no problems with them. I do not knock those who want step-by-step instructions but for me the reference guide was awesome and much more valuable. I really wish more people had illustrations of how settings change a render like you did. A lot of shaders talk about what settings do but do a poor job of illustrating the visual impact. While my reading skills are good I am more visual so seeing a setting and a picture works best.

The one thing I wish came with the Visual Style shaders is that script that someone made that allows us to apply a VS preset to a surface without losing the underlying material. I'm scared I'm going to lose it and not remember how I tweaked it for my needs. It was for 4.0 and not 4.5 but it still works fine in my recent application. Many times I do like to use the shader with a material underneath and manually reapplying textures is painful.

I definitely understand you. Unfortunately Visual Style was made at a time where such a thing wasn't possible with Shader Mixer presets, and as such I couldn't find a way to accommodate textures like I did with Manga Style. It's something I want to be able to rectify in the future, but right now my time is quite limited as I am a Masters Degree student at University.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kachi said:
    Dire Bunny, is that a one-off render or is it a project you're working on? I'd love to read more...

Short answer: yes i think i may make this ongoing, not sure where i'll put it, probably at deviant art not sure though. (possibly could put it in the art studio forums here, i have seen some people have there own threads hmm not sure )

Longer answer. This is a apart of a long story i had been writing for years. and i have rendered various "scenes" in different styles and before i got into the whole 3d hobby had drawn out a lot of it. so it exists in a very fragmented state.

But these shaders have got me interested enough to do a short story to start with and see where it goes from there.
    I tend to lose focus pretty easily though so, i couldn't say how long i would keep it going.0_o

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

This is a render I did for the July Freebie Challenge. I applied Manga Style to almost every surface but could not figure out how to apply it to the flag properly, so the flag is the only thing in the picture which is not Manga Style shaded.

hero.jpg
    600 x 800 - 310K
    edited December 1969

This is a render I did for the July Freebie Challenge. I applied Manga Style to almost every surface but could not figure out how to apply it to the flag properly, so the flag is the only thing in the picture which is not Manga Style shaded.

I believe you mean Visual Style. ^^"

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I believe you mean Visual Style. ^^"

Err... yes. :shut: I should pay more attention when I am typing. :red:

edited December 1969

Good news everyone, you can now download freebie lights and render settings from the first post of this topic! Freebie Pack 1 contains 5 Light presets, and 4 Render Settings presets (and 1 Studio Default preset). The Render Settings include Low Quality, Medium Quality, Superior Quality, and Ultimate Quality.

Be sure to check out the first post to download them!

• vdodirectorvdodirector Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is there a video or tutorial on how to use the Manga Style Shader? I just bought it and would love to use it, but don't know how. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Is there a video or tutorial on how to use the Manga Style Shader? I just bought it and would love to use it, but don't know how. Thanks.

As i've said before, I do have a step-by-step guide ready, but I want to wait until the bug-fix update has been released before I release the guide.

edited December 1969

Good news everyone, you can now download freebie lights and render settings from the first post of this topic! Freebie Pack 1 contains 5 Light presets, and 4 Render Settings presets (and 1 Studio Default preset). The Render Settings include Low Quality, Medium Quality, Superior Quality, and Ultimate Quality.

Be sure to check out the first post to download them!

Great. Thanks for make them available.
    edited December 1969

I'm happy to see the first ever product review for Manga Style! I wish I could link to the website, but there is adult content on there (including an advert for M5xM5 Deep Love poses), so you're going to have to Google "いろは雑記" instead. ^^"

It makes me happy to see user reviews, especially those that aim to make it more accessible to more users (in this case Japanese users). :D

• XdyeXdye Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Hi, I am loving these shaders, are really easy to use and awesome results. But I have a question, is there some way to make a clean render? I mean that the screentoned shadows become a plain colour, it would be cool to achive a clean manga style , more stylized. So far I tried a lot of things but I couldnt achieve, i even tried to make a new texture for the patterns of the screentones, creating plain colours, but the results were awful, like washed pictures.

Just to make an idea, I would like to achieve a result like this: http://www.spraygraphic.com/storage2/member_files/8259/picture/600_725f7941a4ca84a4face6e6c201990a1.jpg

It's just a random image from internet.

But anyways so far i am enjoying a lot the shaders. Also a trick that I think u achieve the best results is by settings no lights at all.
    Here is an example I achievied in just 5 min. and rendered in 30 seconds:

mangatest.jpg
    489 x 1084 - 178K
    Post edited by Xdye on
    edited November 2012

Hello Xdye. The main point behind Manga Style is to recreate the screentoned look of printed black and white manga. If you would prefer flat grey tones, you would be better off using a normal toon shader like pwToon or Visual Style and simply using shades of grey* rather than colours.

*I recommend about 50 of them.

Btw, that is a lovely render.

EDIT: Thinking about it though, you could use the Colour paramaters (under the screentone parameters). They change the colour of the actual screentone effect (nessecary for pop art renders). If you set all the shadows to black, then used grey shades in the Colour parameters, you might be able to get something close to what you're looking for.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • XdyeXdye Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Woa fast answer, I don't think I can acihve the same results with that shaders, They always seems to lose lot of detail. This manga style shader is just perfect, but it would be nice a preset to achieve plain colors, it would feel still like draw with a pencil, the same exact picture bit without the dots. Is just impossible?

edited December 1969

Xdye said:
    Woa fast answer, I don't think I can acihve the same results with that shaders, They always seems to lose lot of detail. This manga style shader is just perfect, but it would be nice a preset to achieve plain colors, it would feel still like draw with a pencil, the same exact picture bit without the dots. Is just impossible?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for now. The example picture you showed didn't look like it was drawn in pencil.

You could try using the 300 size preset. That will make the dots incredibly small, which might make it look more like paper grain than screentone.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Anyways, like I said, the first step-by-step guide is finished, but it requires the first Manga Style bug-fix update that hasn't made it past QA yet. Once the update is out, i'll then release the step-by-step guide, does that sound good? :D

Yes, it does, I just purchased these for a graphic novel I am working on and after playing with it some, I think I fall into the category of needing a step by step guide.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Well, hopefully the update will be released soon, at which point I can release the step-by-step guide.

edited December 1969

While I wait for the how to guides, I have rendered Hiro5 with Manga Style Shaders.

Hiro5mix01sc02pic01g1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 264K
    edited December 1969

Nice, an interesting combination of both the Manga and Golden Age presets. :D

edited December 1969

Thanks. Below is a close up render of Hiro 5.
    What material will be the best for the teeth, when using Manga Style shaders on Genesis?

Hiro5mix01sc03pic04.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 473K
    edited December 1969

There's one of two things you can do. You could either use one of the Basic Manga presets, or you could not apply Manga Style to them at all and instead use a white Ambient at 100%.

I tend to do the latter, as anime teeth rarely have shading on them.

Oh, and another thing. Both Hiro 5 and Hitomi come with Teeth Smoothing morphs, so if you do decide to use the Basic Manga preset, those morphs should help make the teeth appear a tad more subtle.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Yes!

These are the cartoon shaders I have been hoping for, for a long time. My slow brain seems to understand these much better than some of the others I have tried. The thing is that I don't have to fight for the consistent results as much.

Here's my latest try:

Cyborg_Model_4_-_Cartoon.jpg
    800 x 800 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Brilliant render. Did you make the grey presets yourself? I only ask because I don't recall including any flat grey tones...

edited December 1969

There's one of two things you can do. You could either use one of the Basic Manga presets, or you could not apply Manga Style to them at all and instead use a white Ambient at 100%.

I tend to do the latter, as anime teeth rarely have shading on them.

Oh, and another thing. Both Hiro 5 and Hitomi come with Teeth Smoothing morphs, so if you do decide to use the Basic Manga preset, those morphs should help make the teeth appear a tad more subtle.

Thanks for the nice tips. I will try them myself.