Exporting terrains

Been playing around with terrains lately, and attempted to do a texture export.

The result a) has weird scalines that look awful, and b) doesn't really follow the pattern it originally had.

Help?

Comments

• Terrain shaders are procedurals that work in 3D. They are very difficult to export to 2D as terrain UV mapping is planar. The steeper the slope, the worst it looks afer export.

• And, BTW, if you use obj export, texture export is buggy to say the least. Baker may give you a better result

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I use inagoni baker but before I just rendered a top view as the diffuse and you can do a normal pass too

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Top view, that's a thought, thanks!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

You might also be interested in this Cripeman tutorial, even though it is about a workflow from Bryce to Carrara.  The info on transferring texture maps might still be useful.

edited August 2016

I'm trying to do a top view, I have distant light pointing straight down... but there's shadows. All other lighting seems to be off. ???

Edit:

And after sweating on it for an hour and finally posting, of course 5 seconds later I find a solution (shut light off, use ambient)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2016

I'm trying to do a top view, I have distant light pointing straight down... but there's shadows. All other lighting seems to be off. ???

Edit:

And after sweating on it for an hour and finally posting, of course 5 seconds later I find a solution (shut light off, use ambient)

I should have said that cheekyand isometric camera fiddling with settings for a true flat render

Capture.PNG
    1493 x 951 - 503K
    Doc2.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 1M
    Doc2_Normal.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 727K
    Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 244K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2016

Still looks awful when applied. Hrmph.

Edit: Although this is all waaaay easier in 3DL with Daz Studio, so there's that.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Edit:

You might get more control by using your lights and turning off shadows in the render room.

You might also try adjusting the Quality of the terrain in the Terrain Editor to get the mesh more accurate. It's hard to tell what your issues are by text alone. Screen shots always help resolve these things SO much more quickly and accurately ;)

Terrain_Quality.jpg
    1091 x 520 - 320K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2016

Here's an example of a quickly made Carrara terrain in DS.  I upped the quality of the terrain to 2K (see dart's post above) and exported it as an OBJ.  Attached is the procedural texture converted to an image using the export options - you can see it doesn't look great.  Also attached is the texture baked out using Inagoni's Baker at 4K and two 3DL renders of the imported OBJ in DS using the baker map.  The baking process took about 2-3 minutes on my creaky old laptop but creating the terrain only took about 30 seconds and the export from Carrara/import to DS part took much less than that.

If you took the baked image map into a photo editing program you could make the green parts white and the rock parts black (or the reverse) and use it with HowieFarkes Ultrascatter to place extra grass/plant/tree geometry on the grass and loose stones on the rock and I think it would look pretty fantastic in short order.

EXPORTCONVERSIONdB_Grassy_Terrain.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 1M
    BAKERTerrainDiffuse0.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 3M
    CarraraTerrain01.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 484K
    CarraraTerrain02.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 728K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    MDO2010 said:

Attached is the procedural texture converted to an image using the export options - you can see it doesn't look great.  Also attached is the texture baked out using Inagoni's Baker at 4K and two 3DL renders of the imported OBJ in DS using the baker map. 

Right. The reason for the huge difference is that Baker knows where the terrain shader is placing the various portions of that layer list onto the actual mesh. Baker rocks that way and can also create normal maps if I remember correctly, which I believe will also take any bump/displacement of the shader system into account as well. I could be wrong about displacement. 

Very nice demonstration, MDO2010!!!