Issue with NLA Clip - Help Needed!

I have an NLA Clip that I want to add some movement for a bone which was not included in the original clip - when I use Edit Clip, it lets me add the appropriate key frames, but when I Finish Editing, the key frames disappear. I presume this is because the clip is only accepting changes for channels that already have some movement/key frames in them.  So does anyone know of a way around this to add keys to a channel that did not originally have any keys.  OR is there a way to convert an NLA Clip to normal keys, so that I can add what I need and then re-make the Clip.

Thanks!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

The assignment of what gets controlled (and therfore locked from other manipulation) by the clip is determined during its original creation - those check-boxes we can check/uncheck, so I'm afraid that adding new joints to be controlled would have to be handled using your OR statement.

So just use the good ol' NLA tab to "Load Data from Clip" (converts to keys) add your movements to the other bone(s), create new clip. ;)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

And the Student is teaching the Master?

Good to see we are all able to work together to maximize our tool knowledge.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

The assignment of what gets controlled (and therfore locked from other manipulation) by the clip is determined during its original creation - those check-boxes we can check/uncheck, so I'm afraid that adding new joints to be controlled would have to be handled using your OR statement.

So just use the good ol' NLA tab to "Load Data from Clip" (converts to keys) add your movements to the other bone(s), create new clip. ;)

Arrggh! I should have known that!  Actually, I just found another way around it - convert the clip from a Master Clip to an Editable Clip, make the changes and the then reconvert, that worked as well.  But thanks hugely for your prompt assistance!

It's the circle of life...

PhilW said:

It's the circle of life...

:)

Cool... I didn't think that would work... I guess it does. So are you using Gen 4 clips on Genesis - and adding the Genesis bones to the clips?

No, I was working on the walks part of my forthcoming Animation in Carrara training and wanted to add some movement of the forearms to a clip I had already made. Thanks again for the assistance.

Awesome! :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited August 2016

I don't suppose you have an unrealism training in the works?  laugh

Have your videos.  Look forwardto the next installment.

EDIT:  PhilW said "No, I was working on the walks part of my forthcoming Animation in Carrara training..."

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

I don't suppose you have an unrealism training in the works?  laugh

I do. Well... sort of. It's more for fast renders than making things unreal. But it ties into how we end up tweaking the looks of our figures and objects - along with how we light and render them - working everything together with the mindset of keeping our render times as low as possible.

diomede said:

Have your videos (PhilW).  Look forwardto the next installment.

Me too... Love 'em! 

The Realism Rendering goes a long way towards showing other things as well. He's demonstrating how to make things look really real, and in doing so teaches us a LOT more useful stuff along the way!

I feel like I have a handle on animating in Carrara. I certainly have a very comfortable workflow going - which I also plan on publishing in the near(ish) future. But PhilW and I work so very differently, I always learn really cool stuff from his courses - and will always default to buying them - I still watch the other ones quite often! ;) It's the best darned TV around IMHO!!! :)

edited August 2016
    diomede said:

It's the best darned TV around IMHO!!! :)

You've not watched Game of Thrones then?!  Seriously - thanks for the support, it is much appreciated.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited August 2016

I love to watch them as well and keep learning from them as well.

I believe i am getting better at this stuff.

Give me a router, Switch or Server and I can make that work, so for me i have issues with the artistical side.

Eagerly awaiting your new one.

Post edited by chickenman on
    PhilW said:
    diomede said:

You've not watched Game of Thrones then?! 

Yup. Through Season five. Very, Very good! You're better! Just sayin' ;) yes

PhilW said:
    diomede said:

You've not watched Game of Thrones then?! 

Yup. Through Season five. Very, Very good! You're better! Just sayin' ;) yes

I wish I got a fraction of their budget (well, I suppose I do, it's just a very very small fraction!).

edited August 2016

Here is the "Sexy Walk" cycle clip that I was working on, rendered in a number of ways: (Ugh, the preview image looks awful!)

Post edited by PhilW on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

I can bring home the bacon,

fry it up in a pan,

and never, never let you forget you're a man,

because I'm a woman,

Enjoli

thanks for the preview, can't wait for the official release

Awesome walk! And you've even put in some beautiful hip rotation! Bravo!!!

All of my animation is mostly self-taught through these years of trial and error... and error... and error...

It's those errors, I think, that teach us the most because we see them so obviously... we get so compelled to correct them! ;)

Very nice work! I, too, am eager to grab this up-coming installment of PhilW TV!

My has this thread evolved, eh? LOL

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

yay philw!

(inspiring tests clips)

--ms

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Phil, it's really....hmmmm....cheeky

Walk Designer can't do that !

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

Nice walks, Phil!

Thanks guys!  I start with making a basic walk and then adding some character, including this "sexy walk". There will be a run as well.  And this is just the walk chapter.

PhilW said:

Thanks guys!  I start with making a basic walk and then adding some character, including this "sexy walk". There will be a run as well.  And this is just the walk chapter.

I love your style of teaching. It's so complete, yet incredibly entertaining! I guess it's just the 'you being you' that I really enjoy.

Just started watching all three again... a few chapters of learning 8.5, a few advanced, and a few realism. So relaxing and enjoyable... but more, it's really interesting to reveal how much of Carrara I'm still ignoring! Not on purpose... mind you...

So I'm grateful that my instructor, Phil Wilkes, never goes home!

If anyone's interested, I have a nice dedication and Thank You to Phil Wilkes at the beginning of my thread: Learning Carrara and need some help?

Thank you yet again, Dart, for your kind words - I think you are my No.1 fan!

PhilW said:

Thank you yet again, Dart, for your kind words - I think you are my No.1 fan!

...and I'd love to jam out with you sometime! You bring the keys... I got the drums! ;)

Who knows, if I ever come to the US again!

Just finished all the lipsync chapters...

Sweet! Now it goes to final editing?

Sweet! Now it goes to final editing?

I've got another couple of sections to do yet but it is now progressing well, after my computer issues earlier in the year.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Gadzookes! Very good walk cycle. Can't wait Phil. Will just have to sit patiently, drumming fingers, and watching your other videos.

wgdjohn said:

Gadzookes! Very good walk cycle. Can't wait Phil. Will just have to sit patiently, drumming fingers, and watching your other videos.

yes