Saving scen in daz 4.5 issue

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Ok here is the question that I have been asking, Is there a different folder in which I have to save to other than scenes so my morphs can save? I've gotten 3 different answers and nothing seems to work.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

You can save any file type any where in daz. The problem may be how you save the morphs if your saving them seperatly and are they user created morphs or a morph that uses the dials to create a new shape.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited November 2012

If your making custom morphs for Genesis, and by custom I mean reshaping the figure in a modelling program or by using Dforms, rather that dialing up other peoples morphs, then you need to save the morph as an asset by going "File > Save as > Support Asset > Morph Asset", in the popup set your author name etc then find your morph in the list and make sure that only yours is "checked", you might also want to make sure your morph is at zero before you start, click Accept and your morph will be written out as a DSF asset file in the "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Morphs/" directory or sub directory.

If it's a dial spun then saving it as a DUF scene file, Character preset or Shaping preset will save the dial settings.

If your working with a Gen 4 figure or other Poser file formats then you could have issues, as custom morphs for them need to be written out in Poser format, AFAIK the EXP exporter (assuming we still have one in 4.5) would probably be the only way to do that in 4.5, short of just exporting the item as a CR2.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    If your making custom morphs for Genesis, and by custom I mean reshaping the figure in a modelling program or by using Dforms, rather that dialing up other peoples morphs, then you need to save the morph as an asset by going "File > Save as > Support Asset > Morph Asset", in the popup set your author name etc then find your morph in the list and make sure that only yours is "checked", you might also want to make sure your morph is at zero before you start, click Accept and your morph will be written out as a DSF asset file in the "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Morphs/" directory or sub directory.

If it's a dial spun then saving it as a DUF scene file, Character preset or Shaping preset will save the dial settings.

If your working with a Gen 4 figure or other Poser file formats then you could have issues, as custom morphs for them need to be written out in Poser format, AFAIK the EXP exporter (assuming we still have one in 4.5) would probably be the only way to do that in 4.5, short of just exporting the item as a CR2.

Their dial morphs they work at the time I'm working on them then when I save the scene and reload it its as if they never existed. Same figure same poses just the morphs are not there don't know whats wrong with the program. In previous versions I was able to do a morph on a charcter like have micheal slowly change into the lycan morph over a series of poses in puppeteer save the scene and when I go back to do more work everything is there the poses the morph everything. Now when I do it I save the scene then reload it at a later date the figure loads the poses are there but no morph changes have been saved. Makes the program kind of usless if it doesn't save the scene the way it should.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I think same thing about daz new duf save option.;-P

I do not know clearly about every new ds 4.5 save options , so I think if use save as
    support assets>"scene assets" option, can work to save the "scene" as they are.
    I do not know,, when I try it, it ask me the product name,,vendor name,,
    I just want to save it as they are,, not need to make product ^^;

but there is no documents , no official clear comments about each save option,
    so user just try it and erroer, or lost their work . or just ask here,,^^;

some professional user and vendor understand how to use it correctly.
    but I believe many (or half of) user do not understand the difference of each save options clearly.

I read many PDF or video tutorials of ds4, they say, "you should save the scene, if you hope to preserve your work"
    about a few tutorilals sold in daz shop said same thing. some tutorial said " you can keep your work if you save the scene"

but in ds 4.5, save the scene option never preserve the status of that time.
    they just call each assets in the scene as their path and file name,
    then apply the property value.

so if you change the assets, or tweak morph, or change the rigging , and save again,
    the saved scene change too. I think it should not be called "save the scene"

if I tweaking figure weight or poligon grouping, or morph, then need to stop it.
    so just save it as scene. after work,, lets continue rigging,, I load the scene,,
    every my work has gone away.

of course I know now,, need to save as figure, or save as morph,, after tweaking and preserve the status.
    and need to save it as different name, if I missed something and overwrite the assets as same name,
    never get it buck though I save it as scene.

it is funny,, when think about genesis and his DNA morphs . if I delete one DNA morph, and get new DNA morphs,
    every character in all saved scene now get the new DAN and lost same DNA at same time.
    if I tweak the clothings and missed weight maps, the saved character may have poke through if they wear the clothing.

(I can not memorize, every items used in each saved scene,, so I need just preserve everything,,to keep the status
    after save the scene,,,.)

I hope DAZ make other option to save the current status of all assets. so user who like duf scene , chosse duf scene.
    but I want to save the scene as it were. before I can save it as .daz scene.

it is useful when try to adjust morphs . weight maps. surface groups , clothings,,
    I do not want to save items which have not finished as new figure or new morph as many different name,,

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited October 2013

Wow. Almost ONE YEAR later, The Situation Remains.

I think same thing about daz new duf save option.;-P

I do not know clearly about every new ds 4.5 save options , so I think if use save as
    support assets>"scene assets" option, can work to save the "scene" as they are.
    I do not know,, when I try it, it ask me the product name,,vendor name,,
    I just want to save it as they are,, not need to make product ^^;

but there is no documents , no official clear comments about each save option,
    so user just try it and erroer, or lost their work . or just ask here,,^^;

some professional user and vendor understand how to use it correctly.
    but I believe many (or half of) user do not understand the difference of each save options clearly.

I read many PDF or video tutorials of ds4, they say, "you should save the scene, if you hope to preserve your work"
    about a few tutorilals sold in daz shop said same thing. some tutorial said " you can keep your work if you save the scene"

but in ds 4.5, save the scene option never preserve the status of that time.
    they just call each assets in the scene as their path and file name,
    then apply the property value.

Yep. I can totally relate to the very casual "just save your morph/ pose/ scene".

But never WHERE to, WHAT format, WHY the variables.

Even experienced users were confused, nevermind noobs like me.

The unsuspecting artist happily created this amazing scene, reached out to Save As, to find the horrors that is the 30+ Daz Studio Saving Formats.

Or other artists losing many hours, or horrors of horrors, months of work, from saving to the wrong format.

This is the story I keep hearing again and again, as I earnestly combed this forum for tiny little bits of real info.

Very disheartening.

All I wanted to do was to create art. Yet I spend most of my time Googling for the most basic info. Little bit, by little bit.

Post edited by Mythmaker on