Smart content "Where is it" Mac OS X

124»

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    No Id what Ip V4 or IP V6 is, by the way. And I'm assuming its not refering to Victoria 4

No, It's referring to what IP protocol you are using to access internet. On OS X IPv4 & IPv6 can coexist, but sometimes services like this might stop working if you use IPv6 to connect to the internet (which is highly unlikely as very few ISPs supports v6 at this time.

• DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

So are we at a standstill? I have a tech support ticket in with Daz. But I've had that in since last monday or so. And haven't had a word yet from there people. I'd go back to Daz 4. But the copy I tried to save doesn't work. Upgrading to 4.5 appears to have screwed that up somehow. A drastic option is. use my time capsule to resurrect my drives as they were 2 weeks ago in order to go back to Daz 4. But I'd loose any downloads and upgrades or work I've done since then.

Sorry just rambling. This is irritating. I haven't wanted to work on anything since this problem started. Because the file changes daz made. Means I can't go backward.

Thanks for helping out. But do you have any other ideas?

Dale

edited December 1969

Can you create a folder, then add:
    - The ds logfile (~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt)
    - The logs in vlogs

Mail then to Guru66 mac.com I might fins something out if I can inspect the log files.

/ Totte

edited December 1969

I don't see that Ds log file.

When I go: Macintosh HD/Library/Applictaion Support/ Daz3d Theres only a icon marked dzinstall.ini. Thats all thats there.

Is that what you need? Or am I looking the wrong place?

edited December 1969

Sorry, ~ = "Your home catalogue"

~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt = "your home"/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt

edited December 1969

“Your home catalogue”?

I don't see that, And I've never heard of that. Have we hit a language/terminology barrier?

Dale

edited December 1969

Your home, your user catalogue. It's named after your username, where all your stuff is.

edited December 1969

Never mind. I think I found it doing a search for log.txt

But.... I found two such files. The first one is far too old dated 2009. The second one is log.txt ---locked. But it has no text at all

So I don't think I found it after all.

edited December 1969

In my home file. I don't see a library. I do see a lib. With Daz stuff in. But no

home.jpg
    628 x 750 - 278K
    edited December 1969

Never mind. I just copied the Log file directly out of Daz. Then pasted it into Pages. I'll be sending this to you shortly.

And Thanks again.
    Dale

edited December 1969

Ok. Files away. Let me know if you don't get them.

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

On 10.7+ you need to "show library", Apple hides it for some stupid reason.
    You have to do this in the terminal to have it visible:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Checked your logs.

From vlog

Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.528493 (TID 4319875072): (UID 11) Connection established with '127.0.0.1:49949'. ( Connections available: '4')
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.731975 (TID 4358561792): (UID 11) User: sa. Connection encoding: UTF-16 - LittleEndian.
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.753079 (TID 4361555968): (UID 11) Database '(null)' remoteID 86033200 registered.
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.753105 (TID 4361555968): (UID 11) Database: ; User: sa: OK
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.753300 (TID 4358561792): (UID 11) Database 'ContentDB' put_Location.
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.753487 (TID 4319875072): (UID 11) Database: ; User: sa: OK
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.994444 (TID 4358561792): (UID 11) Database: ; User: sa: OK
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:01.994635 (TID 4319875072): (UID 11) Database '(null)' remoteID 86033200 unregistered.
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:02.568126 (TID 4319875072): (UID 11) Database 'ContentDB' remoteID 86033200 registered.
    Mon Nov 5 2012 08:24:02.568160 (TID 4319875072): (UID 11) Database 'contentdb' has been successfully opened.

From DSlog

Platform bits: 64
    Qt Version: 4.8.1
    Running on Macintosh OS Unknown
    Mon Nov 5 08:23:53 2012

...lots of OpenGL inits & libload...

WARNING: /src/dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream EOF reached.
    DB Register Open error: Stream EOF reached.

What this tells me is the following
    DS does connect to the CMS, and all is jolly, but then for some reason the connection is broken.

edited December 1969

Do you mean you still need the log file? Or do you have everything you wanted?

Dale

edited December 1969

Ok. I'm seeing the library now. But it looks like the log is the same as I sent you. Correct?

So where are we now?

Dale

edited December 1969

Morning Totte,

I had a notion to test if there were any conflicts between the CMS and several applications that launch at Startup. So I Started the mac. then closed all the launched applications. Then restarted. But Smart Content continues to not work.

Earlier in this thread. I remember something about the possibility of two CMS running simultaneously and canceling each other out. Could that be the problem? I'll have to review the earlier portions of this thread to see what it said. Don't remember who was talking about it either.

Dale

edited December 1969

Hi Totte,

Just wondering if you've gone as far as you can go, or are you just busy? I can understand being busy. And thanks for the help. But if you have no ideas as to what other steps might fix my smart content. I need to start thinking about other options.

Daz tech supports still has not bothered with anything more than a confirmation that they received my tech support ticket. Any ideas how long it takes those people to start helping. If this goes to monday, I'll have been waiting two weeks.

Fixmypcmike said earlier that

What version of DS4 were you using previously? It may be that you have an old version of CMS installed—it doesn’t get uninstalled automatically when you upgrade.

But I can't find anywhere where it was stated how to find the version of CMS or if there was an older version or second installation of CMS.

Another thought I had. Is to delete all Daz 4.5 files and all smart content. Try a complete re-install of those files added since the introduction of Smart content. But that would be very time consuming. Purchased a lot of Smart content since they started that. Take a while to run a ll those installers. And then of course, theres no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dale

edited December 1969

Sorry, was busy.

But Only thing I can think of that we havent tested is to do the following:
    Stop the CMS
    Uninstall the CMS
    Really delete the database files for the CMS in Databases
    Run the DS 4,5 Installer, let it install the CMS again
    Then goto the content Pane and the little meny and do Content DB mainentance and check reimport metadata
    (No need to redownload)
    Try that, last thing I can think of (corrupted database file for some obscure reason, but VServer (CMS) should warn about, but maybe not).
    I have it running and just cant see what's bugging your machine, specially when you had DS 4.0 running (and its the same version of CMS, only updated database structures).

/ Totte

• roberthutchinsonroberthutchinson Posts: 306
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Hi Totte,

Just wondering if you've gone as far as you can go, or are you just busy? I can understand being busy. And thanks for the help. But if you have no ideas as to what other steps might fix my smart content. I need to start thinking about other options.

Daz tech supports still has not bothered with anything more than a confirmation that they received my tech support ticket. Any ideas how long it takes those people to start helping. If this goes to monday, I'll have been waiting two weeks.

Fixmypcmike said earlier that

What version of DS4 were you using previously? It may be that you have an old version of CMS installed—it doesn’t get uninstalled automatically when you upgrade.

But I can't find anywhere where it was stated how to find the version of CMS or if there was an older version or second installation of CMS.

Another thought I had. Is to delete all Daz 4.5 files and all smart content. Try a complete re-install of those files added since the introduction of Smart content. But that would be very time consuming. Purchased a lot of Smart content since they started that. Take a while to run a ll those installers. And then of course, theres no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

Any thoughts?

Dale, I was having issues such as what you are having with other releases before the latest one. My smart content was showing up sporadically as we'll on my Mac. I decided to get a new start and deleted everything, even the DAZ software application. I reinstalled the latest release of Studio and painstakingly reinstalled all of my content. That fixed the issue and I do not expect to have to do this again. I think somehow something got twisted between the app and Mac os. I know what you mean that it takes loads of time reinstalling. I have tons of content from all vendors besides DAZ, as well. Just take the time to do it and then use Mac time machine to back up the complete working app and content. In that way if something get twisted again, you can restore right back to when it was working. As you add new content and everything is working o.k., do another backup. This will save you tons of time and headaches.

Thanks,
    Dale

edited December 1969

To make installation faster (.zip files) I recommend my little RendoInstall. To install the newer DAZ bitrock installers I recommend my DAZBitRockRunner. Both can be found here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463, plus QuikPazte which makes installer older bitrock installers easier as you can paste the paths with a simple HotKey.

Cheers,

/ Totte

edited December 1969

Thanks Totte,

Question: I've got the CMS file open now. Do you mean to trash the CMS application? Or just the data file? Or throw the whole CMS file into the trash?

Sultrylady,

I'll try that as a last resort. Though I'm having some issues with my old content tree (mainly 3rd party content). I'm hoping if I have to try that. Just deleteing the Smart content and re-installing Daz. will maybe fix it. But, though I have been backing up to CD. I'm worried going that route I might miss some purchased content. My Backup files aren't very organized.

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

First, run the uninstaller that comes with the CMS installartion
    Then throw the files in the Database folder in the trash
    Then install a new CMS using the DS 4.5 installer (it will reinstall DS4.5 too but thats just how it works)

edited December 1969

Hot Doggies!

That seems to have done it. Before the import Meta had, Ran like in less tha a minute. This time it ran for 20 minutes or so. It may have even fixed some problems I had before with some Broken links in Smart content. A few of the earlier purchases were showing up as Icons, but wouldn't load,

My older 3rd party poser content continues to elude the content tree. But I suspect that might be caused by something Daz did to the program in the newest release.

I did get one error message during the instalation of Daz.: Error changing permissions to 040755 in applications/uninstallers

Do you think this is important?

I've loaded Michael 5, and it seems to be working. I'll just have to see if Everything works when the Mac is shut down and restarted tomorrow, and any future instalations of new Product. But if everything holds together. I should be good.

Da technical support finally got in touch with me. I'll get back with them tomorrow, after I see that everything is holdiong together.

Thanks Totte, and all the rest that commented as well!

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Hot Doggies!

That seems to have done it. Before the import Meta had, Ran like in less tha a minute. This time it ran for 20 minutes or so. It may have even fixed some problems I had before with some Broken links in Smart content. A few of the earlier purchases were showing up as Icons, but wouldn't load,

My older 3rd party poser content continues to elude the content tree. But I suspect that might be caused by something Daz did to the program in the newest release.

Old stuff wont have smart content, you need to browse the content tree.

I did get one error message during the instalation of Daz.: Error changing permissions to 040755 in applications/uninstallers

weird, but most likely 10.8 related although I don't get it while installing.

Glad it finally works. Took a while to exclude everything else.

/Totte

• BjornVBjornV Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    DaleCar said:
    Hot Doggies!

Old stuff wont have smart content, you need to browse the content tree.

weird, but most likely 10.8 related although I don't get it while installing.

Glad it finally works. Took a while to exclude everything else.

/Totte

While i had this exact problem on my Windows 8 PC after running it for days correctly, it cannot be 10.8 related!
    no message, content manager service just stopped working after launching DAZ.
    Did the same steps and found out deleting the database was the only working option!

edited December 1969

@BjornV: I think the problems are slightly different. The installer problems are probably related to 10.8, but the sudden death of the CMS (Content Manager System) is likely a Valentina problem together.

I've just experienced the same thing, (no connection from DS to CMS although CMS is running and recently reset. Just turned on debug logging again to see (and this is on 10.6.8 (Mac OS X), will see what it gives (Rendering right now though)

edited December 1969

An update of course. For me the problem is recurring. Sometimes things will be fine for a week or 3. Then the database refuses to update when I add new content. And sometimes the smart content is totally Blank. Only fix is to uninstall the CMS. Delete the database and start over. Bad part is it takes longer for the CMS to reimport meta data each time because of new content.
    But at this point theres no help for it other than to hope they accidently fix whatever the bug is in some future update.

At least it works most of the time.

Thanks again Totte

Dale