Smart content "Where is it" Mac OS X

Comments

• DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Should I have done something else with it?

I have it open right now.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Yes. I saw that checkbox. Left it alone. I saw no reason to complicate my life more than it already is.

Dale

If you check that you will see where its installed now in the Content manager installer later

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Should I have done something else with it?

I have it open right now.

I would recommend that you put the DazStudio App and the CMS onto your system drive, and put your content onto your external. It is the easiest to support and the DS app is not that big.

Kendall

edited December 1969

It says its installed on /Volumes/Freeagent drive.

Which is where the application icon is.

oops theres a service file down near the bottom. Strange the search didn't find anything.

But its still not showing Smart content when I launch Daz. Even after clicking on the start service

edited December 1969

I had the app on the external so I could use it with may laptop when I wanted to. Anyway. I keep all my artsy apps there. Photoshop gimp and so on.

edited December 1969

Ok. Let me try and install Daz in the macintosh applications folder. Then I'll restart the computer. See what happens.

edited December 1969

Do I need to change just the Destination Directory? Or should I change the default Directory too? I'd think not. But I'm not positive

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    It says its installed on /Volumes/Freeagent drive.

Which is where the application icon is.

oops theres a service file down near the bottom. Strange the search didn't find anything.

But its still not showing Smart content when I launch Daz. Even after clicking on the start service

OK, now you found it, check what the logs in vlogs says, and if you use the Start Content Manager Server.app, will it start?

edited December 1969

No. At least Daz isn't showing the smart content. The CMS says its started.

But I've moved past that point. I'm trying to install Daz and the CMS into my applications folder. Its already uninstalled the previous DS4.5

But it has me worried This CMS thing is giving me a warning that my previous Database might be deleted. I'm not sure what should be in that box so I don't loose something.

Dale

edited October 2012

DaleCar said:
    No. At least Daz isn't showing the smart content. The CMS says its started.

But I've moved past that point. I'm trying to install Daz and the CMS into my applications folder. Its already uninstalled the previous DS4.5

But it has me worried This CMS thing is giving me a warning that my previous Database might be deleted. I'm not sure what should be in that box so I don't loose something.

Dale

If your previous CMS wasn't running then most likely there isn't anything of value in it to worry about. The CMS database will be regenerated after you reinstall your GenesisStarterEssentials to the matching set for 4.5.1.6

EDIT: Make sure to point your content areas at your external.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited October 2012

There is a "Reimport meta Data Here, use that of your database goes clean.

Skärmavbild_2012-10-28_kl._18_.50_.27_.png
    350 x 315 - 34K
    Skärmavbild_2012-10-28_kl._18_.50_.20_.png
    267 x 380 - 37K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Ok. Here goes nothing.

edited December 1969

Ok. The reinstall didn't fix anything that I can see.

I restarted the computer. And re-launched daz from its new location in the applications folder. But still no smart content.

There was to errors during installation. The first was a permissions error. I'm running disk utility now to see if theres a problem.

There was also an error saying it was unable to perform a complete uninstall of Daz.

I'm repairing permissions now to start

edited October 2012

DaleCar said:
    Ok. The reinstall didn't fix anything that I can see.

I restarted the computer. And re-launched daz from its new location in the applications folder. But still no smart content.

There was to errors during installation. The first was a permissions error. I'm running disk utility now to see if theres a problem.

There was also an error saying it was unable to perform a complete uninstall of Daz.

I'm repairing permissions now to start

Keep in mind that "Smart Content" won't show anything until you install the GenesisStarterEssentials package for 4.5.1.6, start 4.5.1.6 and let it put the metadata into the CMS itself.

EDIT: If you've already installed the 1.6 version of the GenesisStarterEssentials, then you'll need to use the Content Library Tab to have 4.5 reload the Metadata as was outlined in a previous post.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Well. Where does that need to be installed?

Is the genesis starter essentials content? or something else. If its content it should already be there on the freeagent drive. Shouldn't it?

Dale

edited December 1969

Correction. I see your edit.

But I already did that. Twice in fact.

Nothing.

edited December 1969

Now. I just noticed. the CMS starter service is still where it used to be on the free agent drive

Could that be the problem?

edited December 1969

Does it start?

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Now. I just noticed. the CMS starter service is still where it used to be on the free agent drive

Could that be the problem?

If you've reinstalled to your system drive then the CMS stuff on the external shouldn't affect anything.

If you've already installed the GSE 1.6 then all you should need to do is to reload the metadata (content library->context menu->content db maintenance

check "Re-Import Metadata..."

Then Accept.

Then close and restart DS4.5

Kendall

edited December 1969

Right. Did all the reimport meta data, A list of files appeared. clicked Ok

Still nothing

I'm about tapped out for now. Theres a hurricane coming. And I got stuff to do.

If you guys got any suggestions I'll give them a try later, or maybe tomorrow.

In a worse case scenario. I hid a backup of Daz 4.0 whatever. And if that doesn't work. I have an airport time capsule back up. Ildd restore my disk to its pryor glory. Where everything worked. Hopefully.

I've never liked the Smart content feature. If they were going to do it. They should have ported all the content into it. Because eventually. Having two content libraries to check for everything you need will be unwieldily.

Oh well thanks for the help. Daz just keeps making things more complicated, in there quest for simplicity

Thanks again,
    Dale

edited December 1969

Hi,

I'm back. At least as long as the power holds up. The wind is blowing.

Still can't get Smart content to work. I have confirmed that the CMS is up and running. I have re-imported Meta-Data. I have re-installed all the most recent Daz updates that I downloaded. I have restarted the computer, restarted Daz. Still No Smart content.

I just can't figure whats going on.

Dale

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Hi,

I'm back. At least as long as the power holds up. The wind is blowing.

Still can't get Smart content to work. I have confirmed that the CMS is up and running. I have re-imported Meta-Data. I have re-installed all the most recent Daz updates that I downloaded. I have restarted the computer, restarted Daz. Still No Smart content.

I just can't figure whats going on.

Dale

OK - do this.

In the Smart content folder is a file named DAZ Content Management Service.ini.
    You need to authorize to edit it and do it with something like TextWrangler (not TextEdit as it has a tendency to ruin files by being "smart".
    There is a row saying VerboseLevel=0 change that to 3, save, then stop/start CMS

Now start DS, and browse.
    Now, check the logfile, it should be large as everything is now logged, if not, DS cannot connect to the CMS. In that case, you need to check if you have the firewall turned on and not allowing that communication, or if you somehow have two CMS installations and the other one is running.

/ Totte

edited December 1969

Hi Totte,

Did a search for DAZ Content Management Service.ini. Its not coming up. That may not mean anything. Since Content Managment Service didn't come up on earlier searches. But I did a visual search. And it looks like the folder with the smart content in Doesn't have such a file.

I've attached a jpeg of that file

Activity monitor just shows one CMS up and running. I would think if there were two. It would show two up and running. Also I'll attach a screen grab of activity monitor

Dale

CMS_activity_Monitor.jpg
    655 x 552 - 83K
    smart_content_location.jpg
    823 x 433 - 87K
    edited December 1969

I think you are looking in the wrong place. You should have a directory looking like the attached picture somewhere on your machine.

cms.jpg
    625 x 511 - 69K
    edited December 1969

Found it. Actually about as far away from the other Daz stuff as possible. In the Library folder. In a Daz 3d marked folder.

Now I just have to find Text Wrangler or something similar. This is a Mac compatable application?

Entering uncharted territory here. What I like about a mac is you pretty much never have to change things in its guts.

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

Ok. Found Text wrangler. I'm downloading it now

edited December 1969

Ok. Used text wrangler to change verbose to 3. Stopped CMS, then restarted CMS

opened Daz 3d. Still no smart content. Did the DB maintenance thing just for good measure. Closed Daz, and restarted it. Still no Smart Content.

This may sound stupid. But where might this mythical beast called the Log File be located? Or how do you access it. I've been using Daz since 2007. And I don't think I've ever stumbled on it. I've heard of it. But looking around I don't see anything called a log file.

On the subject of Firewall's, Seeings how this is where this appears to be going. I'm unaware of any firewall on my computer. There may be one I suppose between my computer and my airport Timecapsule/network. But my internal hard drive and my sole external are not blocked from each other by anything.

Thanks again.
    Dale

edited December 1969

The logfile is in vlogs in the CMS, called

DAZ Content Management Service_.log

edited December 1969

Ok,, Thanks. Found the Vlog. I always thought it was accessable within Daz. But I guess not.

Now it appears quite large to me. But beyond that its all gibberish as far as I'm concerned. I thought about posting a screen cap. But its so big I have no idea whats important.

But if I'm reading your post correctly. The CMS should be running correctly.

But its still not showing up in the Smart Content pane.

So where does that leave us?

Thanks,
    Dale

edited December 1969

You'll have to forgive me. I'm trying to piece this Vlog thing together in my mind. After looking at it a bit.

The last 3 Vlogs are titled "Warnings" Though they appeared all right before that.

Heres a sample of the last warning vlog

vlog_warnings.jpg
    889 x 657 - 206K