Chaining Items together?

Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I want to create a 4 link chain product where a person can keep adding 4 links until they have the chain the length they need. At the moment, my 4 link chain has 4 bones in it. But when I add the second one, I can't find a way to connect it to the end. The 'fit to' utility overlays the first one, connecting 'hip bone' to 'hip bone'. Point to just points one to the other. What I want to do is connect the hip bone of the second instance to the 4th bone of the first instance. Or maybe I need a 5th bone beyond the end, so everything lines up right, but I still can't find a way to 'fit to' anything aside from hip to hip. Is there some other bone I should be using?

The goal is this. Create a poseable chain however long that is needed. And actually, yes, I already have 1 link, 2 link, 4 link, 8 link and 16 link versions, but I want to be able to use these to create like a 25 link version, using 16+8+1 and when I start posing the 16 link version the 8 link and the 1 link follow it.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but can you just parent the second segment to the last bone in the first segment? (Scene tab, expand segment#1, click and drag segment#2 to the last node in segment#1)

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Sean! That works! I was trying to do it through the parameters area and never thought to try drag and drop. The result is below. Y is 3 8 link chains not connected but postioned. The E is 2 16 link chains, the S is 2 16 link chains with the last 2 or 3 link hidden and the ! is a 16 link chain with two of the links above the . hidden. Took all of 3 minutes to make this.

Now, if you would like the product one it is finished, let me know and you've earned a free copy. ;) It is more than just chains.

yeschain.jpg
    800 x 600 - 19K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Glad to know that was what you needed!

Sure, why not, I'd be happy to try out the product. Might come in handy.

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Glad to know that was what you needed!

Sure, why not, I'd be happy to try out the product. Might come in handy.

OK, will do. It might be a while yet as I'm still hitting a snag or few as I move along with it. Those simple stupid things that cause me great delays. But I have dogged determination! I'll PM you a link to it when I have at least a zip file for you.