CMS and Carrara Pro - I'm "DAZ"ed and Confused!

WadeWattsWadeWatts Posts: 0
edited May 2012 in Carrara Discussion

HELP!!!

Perhaps some Carrara Pro old or new timers can help explain what happened. Basically I was cloning my Boot Drive and I went away to get dinner and when I came back a few hours later it was still running. Turns out that DAZ CMS had created tons of tiny files called something like "Content Management Service 040412.log" for each file name. It would increment the date every day for months.

There would be some large number of these files generated per day all at least under 1K (about 900 Bytes) ... Regardless of whether I booted up the Carrara App or not! There were 200+MBs of these files at least until I stopped counting... and the cloning/backup software got bogged down by copying thousands and thousands of these tiny files... I uninstalled both DAZ Studio and Carrara Pro until I could sort out what was happening.

So my question is this: Can I run Carrara 8.5 BETA keep CMS running via DAZ Studio but disable the log files from being generated? I see a script for this... but I want to be sure the thing is not constantly running whatever checks it makes and then generating these tiny log files.

Anyone know the answer before I install Carrara 8.5 and DAZ Studio again?

Post edited by WadeWatts on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

ask manley stanley if you can find him

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Dell :)

So my question is this: Can I run Carrara 8.5 BETA keep CMS running via DAZ Studio but disable the log files from being generated? I see a script for this…

Can you enlighten me as to, what script, and where it's located. please :)

If there's a script to "stop" the CMS from generating those files,.. then I don't see why it would be a problem to run that.
    then check it in a couple of days to make sure that no more log files are being created.

Basically you can install Carrara 8.5 beta, without Daz Studio, or the Daz Content Management Service,. but,.. that means that you can't access the "Smart content" and Genesis, from within Carrara.
    Unless you have saved a Carrara scene file with the Genesis figure in it, saved in your browser.

As far as I can see,.. the CMS log files are created when it's started,.. (usually when you boot up your system) and it's basically verifying that you have a valid licence to run it,..

if you want to have a quick look at the nonsense "junk" files which windows 7 creates,. have a look at your User / App Data / Roaming / Searches folder.

this is one of the reasons that doing a selective Archive of files is still better than making a "ghost" copy of your entire drive.
    Windows creates too much junk, and unless you're into system management and regular cleaning, then files like this will remain on your drive.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Hi Head Wax :)

I think Manley Stanley got fed up with the way things were going, and decided to do something else for a while.
    hopefully, when the Carrara Beta and the CMS is finalised, then he may come back to Carrara.

Andy :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

thanks andy, hopefully he'll be back not daz soon
    cheers from ear :)

• WadeWattsWadeWatts Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Makes Sense 3DAGE... When I reinstall Carrara and DAZ3D I will look for the script... I was surprised to see it there... but maybe DAZ put it there for a reason.... I don't understand why they check when you boot your system...

Seems to me they should check when you launch the Carrara App... and also why keep all the old .log files around? Why not just keep the last 2 and rotate the old ones out?

I love the software but I am trying to keep it nice and trim. The reason I did a complete BU of the drive was because I was migrating to SSD as my boot drive so I had to make a complete copy of my boot drive to migrate to the new SSD.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, just thinking out loud on why you would keep old log files around and why you need to generate them at system boot and not App launch.

Well, I love Carrara and DAZ3D and it will take a crowbar to keep me from using it CMS or not!

edited December 1969

HI Dell :)

I don’t understand why they check when you boot your system…

Seems to me they should check when you launch the Carrara App

CMS is still part of Daz Studio, and it;'s because the CMS is a windows "System Service" that it checks each time the system is Booted.

You can run Carrara 8.5 without having Daz Studio and the CMS (as Manley Stanley was) but the drawback is that there's No Smart content and Genesis if Carrara can't access the Daz Studio CMS.

why keep all the old .log files around? Why not just keep the last 2 and rotate the old ones out?

that makes sense to me :) ,.... but Carrara is "Still" keeping Temp files any time you crash it. (never removed at next launch)

I've read some good things about SSD drives, (increased boot speed etc) but I've also read about issues with temp files (not a good thing on SSD) ,.. but I'm not an SSD User, so I don't know if those issues have been resolved with the newer drives.
    I'd still suggest a "Fresh" install of your OS onto any new drive, rather than Ghosting a copy of old stuff.

Hope it helps :)